Saturday, May 7, 2011

Gymnastics

PhotobucketMillie has been in gymnastics since Jan 1. We have done two sessions now, back to back. To be honest, when we started out, I thought she might be our next Mary Lou Retton. In the beginning, it was really fun. She really enjoyed participating and seeing her bestie Meagan every week. However as the weeks went on and Millie showed her true 2 year old self, gymnastics became something I almost dreaded. Since Milo was too young to participate, you had to have two people there. One for Millie. One for Milo. For Mat and I, it was tough for both of us to be there every week. So we relied on friends and babysitters to help us out. Being her 2 year old self, it was sometimes a real struggle to get Millie to follow directions. They didn't think she was ready to move up to the older class, where (I thought) she might really flourish. All of this combined with, what we think, is the most disorganized gymnastics program. I know Atlanta is a big city, but to find a gymnastics class, on the weekend for working parents (and kids) to go to was NOT easy to find. I was so excited when we found one and got a spot. However I was so disappointed that it was so disorganized, which if you know me, drives me NUTS!
Photobucket
All that being said, Millie really truly seemed to enjoy each week. This alone made it all worth it. Throughout the week, she would ask if it was Saturday? And if we could "go to gymnastics today?" She would be so excited to see Meagan's car in the parking lot. She really did love swinging from the bars. She was fabulous at the balance beam. She and Meagan would get lost in the foam pit and they would crack up laughing. Katie and I would laugh at each other trying to grab the girls' flailing arms as we reach into the foam pit to try and retrieve our kids while trying not to fall in ourselves (knowing that we would probably not be able to get out!). She became an expert on the trampoline and could jump for hours if allowed. All and all, I think she loved it.
Photobucket

In the end, I am glad we did it. And we might do it again if the opportunity presents itself. But in the mean time, here are some pictures from her last class (that I attended). Click here to see all the pictures and videos.