Friday, April 3, 2009

Millie gets Arty!

Mom & Millie headed to the High Museum of Art today and had a great day hanging out at the museum. I joined them after work and we went to the "The First Emperor: China's Terracotta Army" exhibit.

It was a GREAT exhibit and I hope you get to see the soliders as well. It's a very interesting story. The terracotta figures, dating from 210 BCE, were discovered in 1974 by some local Chinese farmers. Over 8,000 soldiers were found and each soldier is different. From the build to the facial expression, each is different. They range in height (6ft–6ft 5in), according to their role, the tallest being the generals. Each soldier had a different piece of actual armor in his hands. The figures found include warriors, chariots, horses, officials, acrobats, strongmen, and musicians. Current estimates are that in the three pits containing the Terra Cotta Army there were over 8,000 soldiers, 130 chariots with 520 horses and 150 cavalry horses, the majority of which are still buried in the pits. I snapped a couple pictures before the "museum police" caught me. Unfortunately I didn't get too many. After the museum, we appropriately got Chinese take out and went home. I got a new flash for my camera and gave it a whirl last night at bath time. To see pictures from Thursday, click here.